Many oral health threats could damage your teeth and gums. In fact, sugar is not the only substance that can threaten the life of your teeth. There are many everyday ways your teeth could be in jeopardy.
Our dentist, Dr. Doris Madrigal, takes your oral health care seriously and welcomes you into the office if you need help. That is why, our team at DM Family Dentistry in Chicago, Illinois, is excited to share with you facts on things that can damage your oral health.
Here is a list of threats to your teeth and gums:
– Tongue piercings: Tongue piercings can create nerve damage and dental damage to your teeth and gums.
– Biting your nails: Biting your nails puts tension on your teeth and jaw and can lead to difficulties like temporomandibular joint disorder, which is a condition with the two joints that move your jaw up and down when you talk or eat causing them to lock or become painful.
– Chewing on ice: Ice is a very firm substance that can hurt your teeth and gums, which is why it’s best to not chew on it on it.
– Tobacco use: Tobacco is known to increase your likelihood of multiple cancers in your body, particularly your lungs and throat. Tobacco also damages the gum tissues and welcomes bacteria and many chemicals in your mouth.
– Chewing on pencils or pen caps: Chewing on pencils and pens can chip and crack your teeth causing pain, which is why it’s healthier to chew on something softer like sugar-free gum.
– Poor oral hygiene: If you neglect your oral hygiene routine, you are placing your teeth and gums at risk of tooth loss and gum disease which could lead to bone loss as well.
If you need help with your oral health, or if you have questions about your teeth and gums, please feel free to call us right away at 773.252.5757 to make an appointment. Our team of experts are happy to help you and welcome you into our office.